Restart A Heart Day is an annual event on October 16th relating to cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and defibrillator use or first aid surrounding a cardiac arrest. The campaign intends to generate awareness and understanding about cardiac arrest and encourage as many people as possible to learn how to perform the potentially life-saving act of CPR, to increase the likelihood of lives being saved as the early moments are critical and a trained person on the scene can make a lifesaving difference.
Performing CPR can more than double the chances of survival in some cases.
Did you know that just one in 10 people survive an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and every minute without CPR and defibrillation reduces the chance of survival by up to 10%.
Listed below are a select number (not an exhaustive list) of CPR and defibrillator training opportunities for you to get involved with the UK’s air ambulance community:
- Wiltshire Air Ambulance will be offering Swindon Town supporters training in CPR and defibrillator use at Saturday’s (15th October) home game with Colchester United. To mark Restart A Heart Day, which occurs this weekend, Wiltshire Air Ambulance emergency awareness trainer Chris Mead and a host of South Western Ambulance Service (SWASfT) paramedics will be on hand to assist during a medical emergency. Find out more
- You can join Essex & Herts Air Ambulance at Lakeside this Sunday (16th October), where some of their pre-hospital care doctors, critical care paramedics and volunteers will be delivering free CPR and defibrillation training and demonstrations. Location: W Thurrock Way, West Thurrock, Grays RM20 2ZP
- Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance have two events this weekend, you’re welcome to go along, meet the crew and learn more about CPR: Find out more
Saturday 15th October – Poole Parkrun, Poole (9am)
Sunday 16th October – Dolphin Shopping Centre, Poole (10am – 4pm)
Further to the air ambulance community, there are a growing number of interactive digital sessions, events, and how-to-guides for the public to take part in during October in recognition of Restart A Heart Day, some of which can be accessed below:
- Be ready for that day with RevivR, British Heart Foundation’s fast, free and easy-to-use online training course: Learn CPR in 15 minutes | RevivR | BHF
- Yorkshire Ambulance Service new CPR Simulation Video: Restart a Heart, CPR Story (nwyhelearning.nhs.uk)
- British Heart Foundation’s ‘how to guide’: Learn how to do CPR | British Heart Foundation (bhf.org.uk)
- Restart A Heart UK-wide events in October: Restart a Heart 2022 | St John Ambulance (sja.org.uk)